Saturday, March 22, 2008

Blasted books.

Bollocks, mate.

Yesterday was spent with a couple of friends downtown, eating at a bar semi-filled with a bunch of over-enthusiastic College Basketball fans who were probably on their lunch break from work, given the time of day. We originally planned on going to the movies (choosing between "10,000 B.C." and the Tyler Perry thing) but decided not to because we were all entirely too sluggish and tired after eating burgers and drinking Skyy Vodka and Blue Moons in some dark corner. So we meandered into Barnes & Noble.

It's never easy for me to just browse when going into a location of this chain. Immediately after coming across the first shelf of New Fiction (not bestsellers, those shelves are usually full of codswallop like James Patterson and Stephen King), I always see about 6 books I want to buy.

My favorite genre is mystery, so I always look for those first. After my friends went their own ways, I came across some book yesterday about a woman who has sex with an "intriguing stranger" or something of the sort one night, then wakes up the next morning and finds herself in the national news media as a top terrorist suspect. The author was some new guy whose name I forget, but I was interested in how this woman went from being nobody to an international criminal overnight, so I took the book and held it as I continued to walk around.

For the main part of shopping, I tried focusing on the Non-Fiction aisles, since I hardly ever read that, but after eliminating everything that didn't really cover any subjects I was interested or cost too much at the time, it came down to 2 books.

One was "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", the classic novel by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche about the famed man who journeyed up a mountain and founded the religion of Zoroastrianism. It only costs 8$, and while it wasn't anything that generally stuck out that much in my mind, I've always been interested in it.

The other was a book called "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. That was a bargain book for 6$ and had a nice, embossed, colorful cover that made it look uber-contemporary. I breezed through the summary and upon seen the mentioning of Vlad the Impaler, thought the whole story focused on him and his history. I was definitely going to buy that, but when I actually read the summary and ascertained that it was just about some character who has connections to him, second thoughts arose.

In the end, I bought nothing because I already have a billion books at home to get to and "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is taking entirely too long to finish. So far, I have to conclude that this is J.K. Rowling's worst.

Ah well.

5 comments:

  1. I love bookstores. I can look around, picking up books and reading here and there for HOURS.

    I could be all alone and do this with a huge smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Disturbed OneMarch 23, 2008 at 1:52 AM

    And stop saying Bollocks.

    uff -.-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read *The Historian*...I think you made a good call.

    Though you should definitely pick up "Thus said..." at some point in a richer future. But only when you're really willing to wade through it all. That philosophy stuff sometimes just comes out every now and then...=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Clandestine SamuraiApril 4, 2008 at 8:56 AM

    I like Philosophy.

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?