Saturday, April 5, 2008

"I push my fingers into my eyes"

A lyric from Slipknot's "Duality"

A. Stageman has wrote a post asking what some of your favorite books are. I was thinking that, of course, it is a joy to re-swim in the fictional world of some of your favorite works of all time, but what about those books you were glad to put down? Bloggers often ask what are some of your favorite books, but what about the despised? Or boring? Or maybe even offensive?

I will not ask what are some books you regret reading, because I don't think you should regret anything that expands your mind (for the most part). It is equally important to get to know what you don't like as well as what you do like. So what books sucked?

For me, "War of the Worlds" is the first time I've preferred the film way over the book. Quite boring (although I did like "The Time Machine").

"A Scarlet Letter" also dragged on forever and anon, but I think this is because I expected the book to have some sort of plot movement, of which there was virtually none. Actually there was none.

I also once picked up a novel that was part of the "Terminator" series, and, figuring that I could read some intriguing side story or after story to the main plot, began reading. I put it back down after 20 pages or so and vowed never to do such a thing ever again.

I started reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" after seeing the title character appear in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", and the interaction between Lord Henry Wotton and Dorian Gray struck a sharp note in me because of something I was going through at the time. And while I enjoyed the book, I could not get myself to pick it up again, although I'm sure I could now.

Oh, an ex co-worker once suggested and lent to me the book "Roses Are Red" by James Patterson. I started reading it and was turned away by terrible, bland language, empty dialogue and cardboard cut-out characters. For the sake of finishing the book, I continued to read it anyway, but after giving it back, I made sure to stay away from the name (along with Ted Bell) in the bookstores.

6 comments:

  1. The Clandestine SamuraiApril 5, 2008 at 8:46 AM

    Hey Samurai, that's the second mention of the "A Scarlet Letter" in your blog. Are you sure you didn't like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" - I could not get into this book at all. I read about 1/3 of it and put it down, never to pick it up again. It just didn't hook me.

    "Robinson Crusoe" - I finished this book but only because I had to read it for high school. Although it is interesting that Defoe wrote a book focusing on survival rather then social interactions, I did not enjoy the book. Too slow and too detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Disturbed OneApril 5, 2008 at 10:06 PM

    *singing*

    I push my fingers into my ... eyes.. Its the only thing, that slowly stops the ache...

    I love that song. And the other one..

    *singing* I won't let this build up inside of me.... I won't let this build up inside of me..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't Feed The PixiesApril 7, 2008 at 3:55 AM

    Whatever you do, no matter how bored you get, never never NEVER read "Sons And Lovers" by D.H. Lawrence. I had to read it for my English exam and it was rubbish.

    I think you're a bit unfair on H.G. Wells - i don't think his stuff has aged that well and his style of writing is a bit outdated, but you have to look at "War Of The Worlds" in it's historical context - Wells was a visionary. No one had ever written like that before.

    Much of Stephen King's recent output has been dire - with the "ancient powers rising to defeat the evil" finale tagged onto at least 5 that i can remember.

    Iain M Banks i find a bit hard going - "The Player Of Games" is an excellent Sci-fi novel, but some of his other "culture" series of books are just overlong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Clandestine SamuraiApril 7, 2008 at 10:45 PM

    I don't deny that. I think the message of Europeans suffering the imperialism they've forced on others is a great message, but the book just couldn't hold me very well. I still plan on reading "The Invisible Man" though, as he was one of the League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?