Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I forget to remember sometimes.

"I had been walking in a fog. Time hadn't seemed to pass at all. It had been two hours since I left my place and I had hardly any memory of what streets I had crossed to get here. Nothing came back to me at all until I was outside the old apartment building where Bettie had been torn away and jammed into the back of a light truck."

Sometimes, authors are perfect at describing feelings and perceptual events in life that it seems impossible to find the perfect words for.

This particular passage in "Dead Street" (listed to the right) stuck out to me because of the numerous amount of times that I've stepped into my apartment and ended up laying down in bed, not even remembering that I had taken a shower and eaten dinner.

For the protagonist, Jack Stang, his body had carried him to the location of his ex-girlfriend's kidnapping because of the emotion connected to it. My fog is produced from daily habit, which is....kind of sad in a way, although I am entertained when it happens.

4 comments:

  1. The Disturbed OneJune 5, 2008 at 8:15 AM

    why dont u make changes to ur routine sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't Feed The PixiesJune 5, 2008 at 10:30 AM

    This happens to me too and can be quite scary when you're driving along and suddenly look round, unable to remember how you got where you are - your brain goes on auto-pilot for a while. It's like when you run upstairs and then can't remember what you were looking for. We all need a certain amount of routine as its what we measure our lives by - but its good to break the mould from time to time

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to me sometimes too, but I would say it's so cause I have my routines. Then I don't reflect upon what I do. I just do it, like eating breakfast, locking the door and eating. Afterwards I can ask myself if I did lock the door and I really don't know. :O

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Clandestine SamuraiJune 6, 2008 at 7:35 AM

    Lol.

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?