Sunday, July 6, 2008

Historical Context

Sometimes, I look at XBox 360 games, at the new Touch Screen P.C. that's being released next month, at all the CG laden action/adventure films of late, at networking internet sites and I think, the future is here. I say that because nothing surprises me anymore. I feel like we are 2 minutes away from flying cars and holographic T.V.s.

I was thinking all of this as I played Halo 3 with my little brother the other day. It occurred to me that he doesn't have a historical context with these objects (he's 11). He hasn't witnessed the height of gaming technology go from this:



To this:


He didn't hear the clunky, low-budget blips of "Pole Position" or "Pitfall" on the Atari before listening to full 15-instrument classical orchestrations on the soundtrack of some video games by the likes of Harry Gregson Williams and James Newton Howard.

I mean, there's now world wide social networking. Censorship in mass media is now for the most part non-existant. The earth is in environmental danger. There's the possibility of a black President.

For the most part, these things are definitely progressive in nature. But I feel sorry for my younger brother. This could just be old man mentality talking, but for some reason, it seems like we're quite close to the end of everything.

4 comments:

  1. Don't Feed The PixiesJuly 7, 2008 at 3:45 AM

    My favourite author Douglas Adams once said: anything that is invented before your 12th birthday is in the natural order of things, anything invented between the ages of 12 and 35 is a new and exciting gadget, anything invented after this is against God and must be stopped!

    He meant, of course, that we take for granted anything that has already been there. I have fond memories of turning up the volume to full on my tape player so that my ZX Spectrum would load some poor quality graphics (or, more often, crash)

    However, never fear -for technology moves so fast that the things he takes for granted will soon be fond nostalgia too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Clandestine SamuraiJuly 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM

    I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that I can look back and tell you how Doom evolved, or Quake, or Warcraft :)

    I love being able to code a website, and know what the design environment is doing in the background to make it all work.

    I love that I am part of this :)

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?