Saturday, November 8, 2008

"Israel needs a voice"

This particular post will not be as orderly as I usually try to make them. I wrote it in the order I received the information, as there was no real rhyme or reason I could make of all this. I leave it to you, whom I'm sure will know more about the subject than me. And yes, the Jew to the right is indeed Al Pacino.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coming from the bathroom near my store's office, I overheard the President of the Company talking with other people, next to all of whom were traditional religious JewsNote below and the one Honduran woman who is the President's secretary. As soon as they got settled at the 10-chair cherry wood table in his office, I overheard particular fragments of opinion from the President, including: "90% of the Jews voted for Obama. 90%!" I think there were some words that proceded, and then I heard "We're destroying our own..." I will not jump and say these two fragments are connected, but his tone of voice did not suggest that he was happy about this percentage of votes toward our new Commander-In-Chief (=D Yes we can!).

"5,000,000 Jewish-Americans in this country. 5,000,000, and we get blamed for everything. Everything!" Hmmm, don't really know what to say about this one. It made me think of Shylock The Jew for some reason. It's one of Shakespeares more memorable plays, and I think, proof that he had cultural messages in the undertone of his works. Also, see Othello.

"People think Israel's problem can be solved by sending them money [this coming from a hardcore businessman]. Money isn't the solution. Israel needs a voice." At this point, Israel is not something I've studied in-depth, although I'd love to start. For some reason, I was under the impression that, at this point in time, Palestine had either taken over Israel and was killing its people or had taken it siege. I remember something about a "two-state solution", and that's as far as my knowledge goes.

At any rate, my thing was, he sounded pretty bitter about Obama winning, but I think Obama is much more likely to give any country's people a voice than John McCain, who is about money but knows next to nothing about the economy (and has Phil Gramm as his economic advisor, who is so corrupt, Dante Alighieri would have to create a special level in Hell just for him). I am told that both McCain and Obama are allies of Israel, and with its democratic system and monarchy, it is starting to resemble a small piece of the United States (that explains McCain's interest in it).

I was working with a customer at my store (who will have another blog post of her own, as there was an argument between me and a retard co-worker and the customer had gotten involved) and, as she was trying to figure which matching ivory sofas to purchase and have delivered to her home, she mentioned that she was going back to Israel. Naturally, I asked her if it was ok to ask her some stuff about Israel and I told her what I overheard the President say.

She said she could see how some of them (the Jews) would vote for McCain (isn't there a stereotype that Jews are conniving hawks and all about their money? I think this is why I thought of Shylock the Jew), but McCain won't do any good for anyone. She then gave me the history of Israel and Palestine, how Israel defeated Syria, Lebanon, Egypt and some other states in war all by its itty bitty self, and how Arabs don't like the amount of land the Jews have, and she started explaining the argument over the Gaza Strip, which she told me is secular although it's over a piece of sacred land.

Bollocks, conflicts abound. Jews and Arabs. Arabs and Africans (Darfur). The Irish and The British (the Troubles). Iraqis and Iranians. Pakistanis and Indians. I've heard rumors of beef brewing between The Russians and The Americans.......again. Here in the United States, Puerto Ricans don't like Dominicans and vice versa. The Chinese don't like the Japanese and vice versa. In Compton and other parts of California, Mexicans don't like Blacks and vice versa. During 9/11, "Americans" didn't like "Middle Eastern" people. During the whole past, present and future, no one likes white people (Bush/McCain Americans). Or black people (the stereotyped versions of them). Or Mexicans (same). Or Jews (same). Why can't we all just get along????!??

Note I've never understood how people would say they're Jewish racially until someone finally answered my question.
I mean, one who is Japanese means they have the blood and makeup of a people who have biologically adapted to living in Japan.
One who is Kenyan means they have the blood and makeup of a people who have biologically adapted to living in Kenya.
One who is Jewish has the makeup of a people who have biologically adapted to living in __________??

[I am told the answer is Judea].

Also, another quick note: One who is American means they have the blood and makeup of a people who have biologically adapted to living in America. There can't be any more than a tiny fraction of the people who qualify through this definition left. None of the American Presidents qualify for it, yet you can only be "American" to run for president. Go figure.

5 comments:

  1. This Brazen TeacherNovember 8, 2008 at 10:44 AM

    Have you ever been to www.pinkyshow.org.

    I think you would like it- from what I've gathered here at your blog. There is a very interesting video there about Immigration- and what it means to be truly "American."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't Feed The PixiesNovember 10, 2008 at 4:52 AM

    What this boils down to really is dislike for the unlike - for generations we (as a race) have made people outsiders to make ourselves strong: someone once said if you put two people together they make a couple, three a community and four they make one an outsider. I don't know if that is true.

    PS - it always makes me laugh when i hear people referring to "The Troubles" - people forget now that the IRA were every bit as dangerous as Al-Quaeda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We think of ourselves as intelligent beings and forget how much of being human is the animal side of all of us. The beast lurks inside, that territorial instinct, the killer instinct and the will to survive. We have a long way to become truly civilized. Until then we have to learn to tame the beast inside of each of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome post, especially the musing around who could be considered truly American...

    Interesting fact, if Obama won teh Presidency here in South Africa, he would be considered teh first 'Coloured' President and not the next black president...

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good post.

    we all like to think "our" situation/conflict is unique. When it's not. It's the same story over and over again.

    I like how you listed all of the endless conflicts at the end. emotionally laden, yes. important, yes. But - have we learned anything?

    Nope.

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?