Saturday, April 4, 2009

Welcome Home

The title being yet another song that's on my mind as I write this (the Coheed and Cambria one, not the Metallica one). A murky day is staring at me through the window. I'm here at the usual journaling spot, in front of the flat screen monitor with a steaming cup of lemon tea. I still have a response letter to my Southern friend, and guitar playing to practice, and blogs to read. But I'm thinking about the fact that I have to move.

-I came home one day, and my mother started to nag to me about the fact that I drunk up all of the tea and didn't tell her.
-I tried explaining that there was no logical reason for me to tell her all the tea was gone. I bought the box of tea, and after it finished, I would've simply gotten around (at some point) to buying a new box of tea.
-She rambled on about there always having been tea in the house as long as I've lived there. And at that point, I was yelling at her, so she told me not to raise my voice at her.
-I said I was yelling because she never listens to me. Ever since I was young, she's never listened (See "The Good, The Bad and The Anxious" for explanation of this feeling).
-She said she was listening and then she said if I raise my voice at her again, I'll be looking for a new place to live.
-I said it would probably be better if I was homeless. At least they (the homeless) know how to listen.
-She said if you feel that way, then you got 6 months to find another place to live.

We've talked and gotten over all of this………..but I think I should still move.

In no kind of relation to what I've just mentioned, I read a newspaper article yesterday, handed to me by a co-worker, stating that new Afghan law says that Shiite (Islamic) men now are permitted to ask demand sex from their wives every 4 days. If the wife does not submit, the man is allowed to take it from her. In order to attempt to cater to the obviously oppressed gender, the law also states that a woman is also allowed to demand sex from her husband every 4 months. I thought, this is entirely too monstrous to be real. If the Islamic nation was seeking to invite people to their religion, they should perhaps think about hiring a new Public Relations team.

In other events sought after to keep my mind off of the fact that my ideal self is nowhere close to being realized, I think that Latin American authors are the new move. This is author that I'm currently reading, Roberto BolaƱo, is a master of the narrative. I am currently reading "The Savage Detectives", which is a sprawling work about two poets named Arturo Belano and Ulises Lima, seeking another well-known but under-published poet named Ceserea Tinajero (I think I spelled that right). The story is told in excerpts, like daily interviews or journal entries, from the viewpoints of many characters in the novel. Very accessible and interesting read. I can only attempt to mimic his writing style here.

4 comments:

  1. Don't Feed The PixiesApril 6, 2009 at 10:36 AM

    Firstly: Philip Larkin (a UK poet) once said: they f**k you up, your mum and dad, they don't mean to, but they do

    Sooner or later you need your own space - but make sure its the right place (trust me, i know of which i speak)

    Secondly - what we're talking about here is lawful rape. Horrifying to think that people are being treated like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I didn't get along with my parents until I moved out... now I talk to them every day (willingly!) But without that space, it just wasn't happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle of the Savage Detectives, as well...having given up on trying to figure out how all the pieces fit and instead just waiting to see how or if they all fall together...

    Anyway, I spent a good bit of time living with my parents in my 20's...overall, it damaged my relationships with both (not that they were in such great shape to begin with)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Brazen TeacherApril 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

    I once read a very good book that said:

    "You can tell the evolution of a state or nation by how they treat the children and women."

    I thought it was the most valid statement I had heard in a long time. Nice post. I hope you find a small, affordable and happy new home for yourself. I upside of economic downfall, is landlords drop their rent to get tenants to move in.

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?