Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Technology = Spirit?

A week or two back while at work, the screen on my G1 broke. It's an slide open-and-close phone, as you would see if you clicked on the link I provided in the G1 phrase in the previous sentence. I'm not really sure what happened, nor would it be important. When it was closed, the phone would freeze. I'd have to turn it off and back on in the open position to get it to operate: a situation that immediately called for a replacement. I felt a sharp despair.

Although I'm not socially networking 24/7, I felt thrust out of all important loops in life because I no longer (really) had access to Twitter and Facebook on my phone. At least until the 3 to 5 business days passed before receiving the replacement unit. I tried to tell myself that not being able to see the address of whoever's birthday party/barmitzvah/goat-sacrifice event I had that night was a justifiable reason to be genuinely pissed that my phone died, but it was of no use. I was immaturely angry and felt helpless. I started to ponder what this suggests about our generation, or today's world, especially in the light of T-Mobile representatives rotely telling me "yeah, I hate when that happens, too. You feel like you've lost your whole life. Let's get that fixed as soon as possible." I thought that the beginning of all those hyper sci-fi worlds we've read of in Philip K. Dick narratives and Neal Stephenson writings has very much arrived.  Meaning that everything that has even the slightest importance in worldly matters will only fill space on the internet, and will be as tangible as you imagine them to be as you stab the keys on your computer's keyboard.

Anything that we have to affirm in this world will continually/ultimately be filtered through a wall post, or someone else's MP3s on our homepage, or comments on someone's status or a tagged picture. I'm sure the technological avenues will continue to develop. But, speaking as a person who is not a fan of live interaction with people, there is something to be said for it..........

2 comments:

  1. An interesting post that says a lot more under the surface: when i started my last job in the mid 1990s they didn't even have the facility to record someone's mobile phone on their database, yet its hard for us to imagine life without it now!

    Why do we feel so desirous to inform anyone and everyone of every movement? Rage against the machine my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought you might like to check out this link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30805093/ns/today-parenting_and_family/

    The teens who participated in a "no technology" experiment for 10 days were reported to have experienced noticeable decreases in stress, anxiety, as well as a heightened ability to focus. I thought it was pertinent to your post :-)

    ps- sorry I've been mute for so long. I too have been technology-less. In fact it's been so long... I've taken to making up words like "technology-less"

    ReplyDelete

What's your beef, sports fan?